In June, 1948, after the Antonov-2 plane successfully underwent the state trial program and its serial production was launched, Designer General Oleg Antonov and the entire staff of his design bureau were transferred to Kyiv. Consequently, it became necessary to provide a repair facility for the АSH-62IR engine mounted on the Antonov-2. It was obviously expedient and rational to found an aircraft repair base in Kyiv (now the state enterprise Plant 410 CA).
On July 1, 1948, the Main Civil Aviation Department issued Order #182 to organize a Kyiv affiliate of Civil Aviation Repair Base #409. The affiliate occupied the warehouse premises of the Ukrainian Civil Aviation Department at the Zhulyany airport.
It was also ordered to organize repairs of АSH-62IR and М-116 engines and Polikarpov-2 planes and to appoint Mykola Golego chief manager of Civil Aviation Repair Base #409. Later he became director of the plant, a major scientist, and rector of the Kyiv Institute of Civil Aviation Engineering.
On November 6, 1948, the affiliate became an independent enterprise and was named “Civil Aviation Repair Base #410”.
Initially, due to critical shortage of process premises, equipment, hands, time, and money, the facility only repaired АSH-62IR engines for Antonov-2 and Lisunov-2 planes that made up the major part of the country’s civil aviation fleet.
The new enterprise started operating with great difficulties. It had to repair the building assigned for its process premises at its own expense. The management often found extraordinary solutions: for example, the engine testing station was housed in the fuselage of a written-off DC-3. However, the staff problem was the most difficult. The 25-strong team was ordered to put out the first engine in October, 1948. It was then and owing exclusively to Mykola Golego’s excellent organizational capabilities that the team of skilled professionals ventured to found a plant.
On October 21, 1948, as a result of their hard work and titanic efforts, the repair base handed over the first repaired АSH-62IR engine (serial No. 628-333) to the Ukrainian Civil Aviation Department. The customers’ positive evaluations of the first batch of repaired aircraft engines inspired the team.
Meeting with Ferenets V.A.
In November, 1949, the enterprise had a total of 222 personnel. The management developed a special personnel training plan which was critical for fulfilling the operation tasks set to the enterprise. It was important to improve process management and install new equipment, machines, and devices for higher productivity. Thanks to new technologies developed and introduced by the enterprise, separate repair operations became an integral process. New divisions were set up and new buildings were constructed.
The serial production of the piston-engine Ilyushin-12 ushered in the second stage in the activity of the Kyiv-based civil aviation repair base #410.
As the process premises and equipment enlarged and the material base improved, it was decided that along with engine repairs the facility also organize repairs of Ilyushin-12 planes. To this end, a hangar was built on a land plot at the Zhulyany airport.
Between 1953 and 1974 the plant was headed by Maj. of Engineers and later Col. of Engineers Viktor Ferenets, an experienced industrial manager. Under his directorship the collective worked very fruitfully at increasing the output and mastering repairs of new types of aircraft – Ilyushin-12, Ilyushin-14, and Antonov-24 as well as АSH-82Т and Аi-25 engines. In October, 1954, the first aircraft repair hangar was built.
Examination of engine parts
In 1956 the plant posted a record, having repaired 1,115 АSH-62IR engines.
In April, 1955, the plant accepted the first three Ilyushing-12 planes for repairs. In September of the same year one of them, Ilyushin-12 (serial No. 30250), was handed over to the customer. In June, 1959, the first Ilyushin-14 (serial No. 61669) performed its first post-repair test flights.
The 1960s saw a significant turn: the plant embarked on repairs of the Antonov-24 turboprop planes.
The first repaired Antonov-24 was released in 1964 and for years remained the plant’s basic object.
Benefition of plant workers
That was when the plant became a major repairer of Antonov aircraft and gained the reputation of a leading aircraft-repairing enterprise.
That was also when the plant laid a foundation for fruitful business cooperation with foreign air companies which used Antonov aircraft. Since then, the number of partner countries has been growing. Now the plant has partnership relations with air companies in 50 European, Asian, Latin American, and African countries.
In 1972, having repaired a pilot batch of five Аi-25 turbojet engines for Yakovlev-40 passenger planes, the plant was certified for serial repairs of the engine and its units and of the auxiliary propulsion unit АI-9 for the Yakovlev-40.
Between 1974 and 2008 the plant was headed by Anatoliy Kudrin.
Under his directorship the plant mastered repairs of the Antonov-26 cargo plane.
The first repaired Antonov-26 underwent successful tests on June, 22, 1976. Exactly one year later, the range of aircraft repaired by the plant was extended with the Antonov-30 aerial surveillance plane, and a little later with the Antonov-32 cargo plane.
Having mastered basic repairs of the module engine D-36 for Yakovlev-42, Antonov-72, and Antonov-74, the plant was able to make the most of its potential. In early 1986 the plant started scheduled serial repairs of engines. Initially, the repairs were made on a shift basis on rented premises and with equipment leased from the production association Motorostroitel in Zaporizhzhya.
AI-25 testing ground
The Kyiv plant designed, manufactured, assembled, and adjusted test benches and equipment; introduced new technologies; conducted tests. In November, 1988, the plant got a license for serial repairs of the D-36 engine on its own premises in Kyiv, and soon the D-36 became the basic product of its engine repair division.
Concurrently, the plant began repairs of the turbogenerator AI-8 for heavy helicopters Mil-6 and Mil-10K.
In the 1990s, with sharply decreasing repairs of aircraft in the country, Plant 410 CA provided all types of technical maintenance of Antonov-24, Antonov-26, Antonov-30, Antonov-72, Antonov-74;
control and restoration works on the Antonov-74 powered by the D-36 engine; refurbishment of passenger compartments (cargo/passenger; VIP versions); modernization of aircraft (installation of modern radio navigation equipment).
New process equipment enabled such complex operations as plasma and detonation coating, laser treatment, and coating of aircraft with acrylic and polyurethane enamels.
The company ARP 410 [Aircraft Repair Plant 410] founded on the basis of the plant joined the pool of national air carriers. It also benefited substantially from the Yalta heliport.
The plant also occupied a vacant market niche by engaging in commercial air carriage. Such alternative measures kept the enterprise stably operational in the 1990s and early 2000s.
The jubilee year of 2008 was very hard for the enterprise: due to objective factors, the volumes of aircraft repairs and aircarriage in the country decreased considerably; other enterprises, including aircraft manufacturers, mastered aircraft repairs; a considerable part of the flying stock was written off аs depreciated; the top management was replaced twice.
Since August 2008, the enterprise has been headed by Sergey Podreza. In 22 years of his employment here he rose from an engineer to the post of deputy director general for foreign economic relations. With his managerial skills, strategic vision, substantial experience, and perseverance the enterprise turned over a new page.